02 november 2022, day 2
“Jai,
there’s someone at the Reception for you.”
If only I
had known these words would change my life permanently! I have rewound and
replayed all that happened, so many times since, and this is literally where it
all started.
I was at
work looking through some of the purchase orders my team had put in over the
last few days and approving the ones that were in line with approved budgets. I
was not expecting visitors that morning. But salespeople, especially the ones
who are trying to get a new relationship going, often drop in hoping to meet
someone in Purchase or Procurement who will be open to try them out.
It’s a
nuisance sometimes, but they are just doing their jobs and hey, I am a nice
guy.
So when
Preeti, our Receptionist, told me there was someone at the Reception for me, I found
nothing out of the ordinary.
“Yeah ok”,
I said. “Find him a meeting room and I’ll see him in a few minutes.”
“It’s a
she” Preeti said.
When I
walked into the meeting room a little later, I saw a saree clad back and an
impossibly tight bun staring out the window. What intrigued me was that this
woman seemed old; her hair was completely white. Now there are all kinds of
business development folks, and salespeople come in all shapes and sizes, but I
had never met a white-haired woman who was here to sell me something.
“Hi, were
you looking for me?” I asked.
She turned
around. She must have been a looker when
she was young, her eyes were something else. I’m used to dealing with the
pretty young saleswomen, but they are usually groomed and made-up in a cookie
cutter look. This one was the OG.
“Liber, we
meet again! Where on earth have you been? I had a hard time finding you” she
said with a tight smile.
Smooth
single malt, not marred by even one ice cube. Rashid Khan singing ‘Aaoge jab
tum saajana’. Maansi’s fancy silk sheets. Her voice was just that, pure
pleasure.
“Are you
ready Liber? We’ve lost so much time just finding you” Her urgency brought me
back with a thud. She was staring at me, gripping the table edge.
“Sorry, what’s Liber? I am Jai” I said.
She sat
down heavily. “That’s how you want to play it? You haven’t forgiven us?”
I frowned
in spite of myself. “What are you talking about? Who are you ma’m?”
She leaned
forward, staring at me. “We have no time for this. I’ll apologise again.
And again. And I will call you Jai. But can we leave now? They are waiting for you. Let’s go.”
“Listen” I
said “I have no idea who you are, what you are talking about, or what you want.
Is this a prank? Or are you confusing me for someone else?”
She rolled
her eyes. “Please. How could I ever mistake you for someone else? We
practically grew up together. And have you forgotten our time at Nusquamia?”
The room swam around me.
I had a sudden flash of a
sunny meadow, laughter, excitement and a deep baritone saying “Welcome to
Nusquamia”.
And then the room came back into focus. What was happening? Who was this woman?
(c) Shilpa Chitre
No comments:
Post a Comment