Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2.14

dorothy parker was an american writer and poet very well-known for her acerbic remarks and caustic wit. she was the one who said 'men seldom make passes at women who wear glasses' and in a review of some unfortunate book "this not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. it should be thrown with great force"
in comparison, the little verse i've chosen is positively mellow. i generally don't do year-end reviews or new-year resolutions, this is probably the closest i can get to either.

Inventory

Four be the things I am wiser to know:
Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe.
Four be the things I’d been better without:
Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
Three be the things I shall have till I die:
Laughter and hope and a sock in the eye.


- Dorothy Parker



No comments: